I have used my hosts file ( located in /private/etc/hosts ) several months to block distracting websites during the work day. This worked all well until nowadays. today it suddenly stopped working .
Some sample distribution lines from the hosts file :

127.0.0.1 facebook.com
127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

I placed that textbook in the hosts file by the follow steps :

sudo nano /etc/hosts
wrote the lines above, then ^O to write the file, Enter to confirm the filename and ^X to exit the editor .

Between the localhost IP and the knowledge domain identify I have a tab. The production line endings are Unix style ( LF ), and the eldritch share is that when I use the ping command it seems to do its job properly :

ping facebook.com
PING facebook.com ( 127.0.0.1 ) : 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1 : icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.137 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1 : icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.122 mississippi
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1 : icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.118 megabyte
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1 : icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.110 mississippi
^C
— – facebook.com ping statistics — –
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0.0 % package loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.110/0.122/0.137/0.010 mississippi

But when I try to entree facebook.com in Safari or Firefox I am still able to get to the web site. This is besides the case for other web site that I have blocked in a exchangeable way. I have emptied the cache for both browsers, but this did n’t solve the trouble .
What can I do to solve this trouble ?

Update 1: I ‘m now checking all the websites I ‘ve blocked this direction and found out that the behavior is not coherent across different domains. These are the “ time-waster ” I ‘m blocking in /private/etc/hosts :

# Block time-killers
127.0.0.1 9gag.com
127.0.0.1 flabber.nl
127.0.0.1 geenstijl.nl
127.0.0.1 dumpert.nl
127.0.0.1 facebook.com
127.0.0.1 www.9gag.com
127.0.0.1 www.flabber.nl
127.0.0.1 www.geenstijl.nl
127.0.0.1 www.dumpert.nl
127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
# #

All sites from this list ping to 127.0.0.1, however 9gag.com and flabber.nl are unapproachable by any browser, but geenstijl.nl, dumpert.nl and facebook.com are approachable .
I have tried resume, this did not solve the trouble. Before this problem I have not changed the system configuration by an update of some kind .
Update 2: Three hours ago I could entree facebook.com through Safari and Firefox, now I ca n’t anymore. geenstijl.nl and dumpert.nl are still accessible though. I have n’t changed anything in the past three hours, just used Word and browsed the web with Safari.

Update 3: now, four hours after the 2nd update the hosts file works as normal again. In the serve off fumbling with the hosts file I removed the non-working entries and re-added them one by one, testing each one after it was added. I have no idea what was happening and ca n’t run wireshark on the traffic anymore as there is no defective behavior I can observe .
Update 4: And the trouble is back again. The same sites as in update 1 show the erroneous behavior .
Update 5:
Everything again works as it should. I ‘ll keep the solutions posted hera in heed when I encounter the erroneousness again .

informant : https://themedipia.com
Category : Website hosting

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.